Sunday Funday? Enjoy Gainesville's best Bloody Marys, then kick it at The Ridge's resort-style lazy river and watch the Gators game on the giant outdoor TV!
These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of SwampRentals.com or any of our advertising partners.
Known as a brunch drink and hangover cure, the Bloody Mary might take some getting used to, but it's packed with nutrition and history (and vodka). The tomato-juiced-based libation was invented at Harry's New York Bar in Paris in the early 1920s. The name "Bloody Mary" is usually considered to be a reference to Mary, Queen of Scots, who died from an unfortunate loss of her head – but it's actually named after a gorgeous French waitress who worked at a cabaret in Chicago called the Bucket of Blood. True story!
Whether you've had a rough night before or you just want a Sunday Funday with friends, the perfectly crafted Bloody Mary you deserve is within your reach. Check out some of these top concoctions near your Gainesville apartment:
- Northwest Grille, 5115 NW 39th Ave – The gem of Northwest Gainesville, this family-owned eatery is known for its amazing brunch. Serving both Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 3pm, load up on drinks just the way you like them at their immense Bloody Mary bar.
- Crafty Bastards, 4860 NW 39th Ave – Right down the street, check out this welcoming, casual neighborhood bar with top-notch comfort food and generous pours. Relax on the outdoor patio while sipping an expertly crafted, spicy as hell Bloody Mary, seven days a week.
- Munegin's On 13th, 4005 NW 13th St – Sometimes all you need is a welcoming dive bar, and this is it. It's not fancy, but the bartenders here have been making some of the best Bloody Mary's in Gainesville for decades: they're strong, spicy, huge, and cheap!
- BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse, 6611 W Newberry Rd – Located by the Oaks Mall shopping center, BJ's has a menu chock full of beer garden favorites like pizza, decadent burgers, and giant salads. A Monday – Friday afternoon happy hour and a Sunday – Thursday late-night happy ensures an affordable and robust Bloody Mary at affordable prices.
- Miller's Ale House, 2881 Bass Pro Shops Blvd – Just a stone's throw from the Split Rock Conservation Area in West Gainesville, Miller's might be a chain restaurant but it's definitely worth a visit. Their daily specials on Smirnoff, Ketel One, and Absolut vodkas deliver tasty beverages without breaking the bank.
- Shula's Steak House, 1714 SW 34th St – If you're feeling a little fancier, check out Shula's for a rich breakfast-for-dinner time Bloody Mary that pairs perfectly with the bone marrow and waffles appetizer or Wagyu short rib with cheddar grits.
- The Top, 30 N Main St – This hip hangout features a solid menu of salads, pasta, and burgers, but the bartenders here are top-notch and specialize in classic American cocktails with a twist. Enjoy a flavorful house-made Bloody Mary mix, organic pickles, and cute staff with tattoos.
- Harry's, 110 SE 1st St – If you love New Orleans, you'll feel right at home at Harry's in Downtown Gainesville. Enjoy a selection of Cajun favorites like Boudin balls, gumbo, or a po'boy, and wash it down with their signature Bayou Bloody Mary, a uniquely spicy homemade mix, Tito's vodka, garnished with pickled green bean.
- Original American Kitchen, 15 SE 1st Ave – Serving up brunch both weekend days from 11am to 3pm, the nice people at OAK are dedicated to creating a relaxed atmosphere with good Southern cooking, craft beer, and strong cocktails made with local ingredients.
- Mother's Pub, 5109 NW 39th Ave – On Saturdays and Sundays until 2pm, Mother's breakfast serves necessities like biscuits and gravy, chicken & waffles, and corned beef hash, alongside tall, frosty Bloody Mary's, and $5 Mimosas.
- The Social at Midtown, 1728 W University Ave – Enjoy your Bloody Mary at Gainesville's only rooftop sports bar. Offering a superb view of Midtown and a surprisingly large menu of delights such as pretzels with beer cheese dip and an enormous burger with goat cheese and fig aioli – both go great with a giant Bloody Mary!
- Gator's Dockside, 3842 Newberry Rd – Sometimes you just crave the biggest, freshest grilled Mahi sandwich and an ice-cold Bloody Mary with extra lemon. Gator's also has Sunday Funday staples like steak poutine, Ahi tuna bowls, wings, and ribs.
If you're jonesing for everyone's favorite spicy tomato-juice-based cocktail, there are plenty of options in happening Gainesville. New places to hang out and enjoy adult beverages are opening all the time, so keep checking Swamp Rentals for more lists of Gainesville's best food and drinks!