These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of SwampRentals.com or any of our advertising partners.
Get out of your Gainesville apartment and seize a gorgeous summer day! Whether you're working, studying, or simply focusing on having a great time this summer, there's plenty of fun events and things to do on the radar for the next few months. Lucky for you, Gainesville is not only a vibrant midsize town with a young, active population, it's affordable, casual, and offers loads of natural beauty and warm Florida weather.
Even if you're not rolling in dough, don't worry – you can still get out and have a good time without spending a fortune. Here are some exciting and affordable activities to liven up those lazy summer days and nights to help get you and your friends out of your apartment to explore Gainesville.
Weeknight Wonders Around Gainesville
- Maker Night – Part of the innovative summer schedule at the Cade Museum for Creativity & Invention, this Tuesday night event is like an arts and crafts class gone wild. Open to all ages, a $15 fee gets you access to 3D printers, laser cutters, art supplies, and pretty much anything you need to craft your little heart out. Located on Main Street, the Cade is nestled on the edge of beautiful Depot Park and just a few steps away from the Boxcar Beer and Wine Garden.
- Comedy Cellar Tuesdays – Close to Downtown, the Midnight Underground is a super chill hang-out spot that features a free weekly comedy night on Tuesdays, starring both touring and local comedians. They offer an affordable menu of beers and comfort food, so if you're seeking a low-key weeknight hangout, this might be perfect.
- Trivia Night at Blackadder Brewing – Every Wednesday at 7pm is your chance to show off your big brain and win prizes. This old-world style pub in West Gainesville has a different food truck each night and a mouthwatering selection of traditional brews as well as new favorites. Don't miss the Dragon's Milk Reserve: Bourbon Barrel-Aged Stout With Peanut Butter & Cocoa Nibs for only $6.
- Meet the Adventure Club – This fun local social club has been planning and hosting awesome events for over 10 years. From charity fundraising to white water rafting, this club's many activities are a great way to network and meet new people. Their free monthly meetups are held on the 3rd Thursday of each month at various local drinkeries – sign up on their website for more information.
Livin' for the Weekend
- Live Outdoor Music at Cypress & Grove – Every Friday evening, enjoy free live music outdoors and relax on a nice green lawn at this family-owned local brewery in Northwest Gainesville. If you'd like to sample some of their famous brews, try a flight of their flavorful year-round beers and seasonal additions.
- Alachua County Farmers Market – Even if you're not super into eating healthy, it's still a blast to get up early and head out to this weekly Saturday morning market. Stroll down aisles chock full of the finest local produce, check out the people watching, and stock up on delectable fresh homemade bread. Then hang out by your pool and have a barbeque!
- Check out The Great Outdoors – This down-home bar and grill features a vast outdoor patio, free live music all weekend, and a menu of gigantic servings for a reasonable price. Only a short drive away in High Springs, this is a superb destination for a relaxing get-together with friends. Try some of the specialty drinks, like the Whiskey Basil Smash, and favorite local snacks like fried green tomatoes and firecracker wings.
- Simon's – A North Florida icon, Simon's has been hosting the hottest dance parties for over 20 years. Featuring national and international DJs, this club is loud and proud so come prepared to party. Friday night is Sink or Swim with free drinks until 11:30pm – just make sure you don't drive!
Gainesville might be an up-and-coming destination for young professionals, but it's still a college town – and that means there's something happening every single day. Here are some cool activities you can get down on whenever the mood strikes.
- Arcade Bar – Conveniently located on University Avenue, this is a superb place to hang out on a rainy day and try to beat your high score. This adult game palace has classic arcade favorites like pinball and ski ball, as well as a lively bar and a charming outdoor chill-out space.
- Bluefield Estate Winery – Take a peaceful drive through Newnans Lake State Forest to this enchanting local treasure and enjoy wine, a picnic, or a stroll through the vineyards. Call ahead to schedule a private wine tasting or walking tour or bring some baskets to pick your own blueberries and grapes.
- Devil's Millhopper Geological State Park – This is a fab place to go with friends and a cooler full of beverages for an epic nature experience. Descend into an enormous sinkhole that hides a verdant tropical paradise. Great for hiking or just admiring the scenery, this state park is only a few minutes' drive out of town.
- Ginnie Springs – This legendary private park hosts some of the summer's best parties. Grab your camping gear and several large coolers and explore seven natural springs via tube, kayak, or canoe. The water is crystal clear and a cool 72 degrees year-round, and after dark enjoy drum circles, campfires, and other hippie shenanigans.
There are loads of fun things to do all year long around here, but you'll never be bored in the summertime. New events and parties are being planned all the time, so stay tuned to SwampRentals for more tips on how to have a blast near your Gainesville apartment!