The tree-lined, cozy community of West Gainesville is one of the city's most desirable neighborhoods, and apartments in West Gainesville are highly sought-after by students, young professionals, and growing families. Extending west from 34th Street to 91st Street, this area is home to a variety of beautiful residential neighborhoods, including houses, apartments, and townhomes, as well as a wide-selection of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. West Gainesville apartments are ideal for those who prefer small town, community-focused living with all the conveniences of life in the city.
Apartments in West Gainesville
Apartments in West Gainesville offer a healthy mix of student apartments that are leased by-the-bedroom and more conventional apartments leased by the entire apartment. Along SW 20th Avenue, you'll find many of the large by-the-bedroom student communities including Gainesville classics like West 20, Canopy, Cabana Beach, and The Woodlands. These apartments offer student geared amenities like truly resort-style pools, private bathrooms in every bedroom, resident events, and study rooms. This is a popular area for both students looking for apartments near The University of Florida and students attending Santa Fe College because the apartments in the area are both affordable and conveniently located on popular bus routes.
Closer to The Oaks Mall, you'll find more conventional apartment options. Apartments in West Gainesville geared toward non-students offer large floor plans surrounded by mature oak trees and useful amenities like pools, dog parks, and fitness centers. You'll find that apartments in this area are well-established, with recent renovations in many of the apartment homes. Many of these communities in West Gainesville offer cheap apartment options for a variety of needs and lifestyle considerations.
Things to Do in West Gainesville
A Shopper's Paradise
Just minutes from your West Gainesville apartment you'll find a shopper's paradise awaiting your keen fashion eye. Home to all of your favorite brands, The Oaks Mall – Gainesville's only shopping mall – features over 100 major department stores and boutique shops, including Belk, Dillard's, Forever 21, GameStop, H&M, and JC Penny.
If you're a serious shopper who's hungry for more, head over to Butler Plaza in Gainesville's Archer Road neighborhood. This area is within a 10 minute drive of most apartments in West Gainesville. Butler Plaza was recently renovated to include over 150 stores with more than 2 million square feet of retail and restaurant space. You'll find this outdoor shopping center especially easy to navigate, and from your West Gainesville apartment it can be reached in just minutes via Interstate 75. With over 35 restaurants, Butler Plaza is also a great spot to stop for a tasty meal!
If you can't find what you're looking for at The Oaks Mall or Butler Plaza, just head over to Celebration Pointe. This is Gainesville's newest option for shopping and entertainment in West Gainesville. The shopping and entertainment complex revolves around a buzzing main street dubbed "City Walk," and offers stores like Bass Pro Shop, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, and more. With a brand new Regal Cinema, Celebration Pointe is also a hot spot for date night!
Activities for All
Fill up your social calendar with a variety of fun activities ranging from a day at the museum to an afternoon picnic among rare species of butterfly.
- Phillips Center for the Performing Arts: Featuring world-class performers, the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts hosts a variety of artistic events you surely won't want to miss!
- Harn Museum of Art: Immerse yourself in an array of breathtaking art featuring sculptures, paintings, drawings, ceramics, metalwork, wood, and more. Famous artists' work is featured here paying homage to a variety of different cultures and historical periods. Admission is free, though donations are encouraged.
- Florida Museum of Natural History: Take a trip to the past with a visit to the Florida Museum of Natural History. Exhibits change frequently to offer a new variety of exciting moments in history, so each visit will feel like the first time! One week you may learn about dinosaurs and whale people, while another you may dive into subjects like fossils and the history of Florida's people.
- Butterfly Rainforest: A permanent exhibit of the Florida Museum, the Butterfly Rainforest is home to hundreds of free-flying butterflies and birds from around the world. Among the Butterfly Rainforest's lush landscape, you'll see tropical trees, colorful plants, and flowing waterfalls.
Take in some of Florida's most beautiful sights just minutes from your West Gainesville apartment:
- Dudley Farm State Park: Take a trip to the past at Dudley Farm Historic State Park, where you'll be able to witness the evolution of farming in Florida from the 1850s to the mid-1940s. While you're there you may wish to embark upon a hike or sight-see a variety of wildlife, including deer, turkey, gopher tortoises, and birds.
- Cofrin Nature Park: Take a breathtaking hike on Cofrin Nature Trail with sprawling trees, a flowing creek, and lush wildflowers. If you enjoy cycling, bring your bike along with you for even more adventures. Make the day complete with a delicious backyard picnic!
Navigating West Gainesville
Getting Around Town
Whether you're traveling on foot or by car, you'll find West Gainesville apartments offer residents the major advantage of quick and easy travel. Interstate 75 runs through this neighborhood allowing for convenient travel not only around Gainesville but to other major attractions throughout Florida. Near the flourishing area of The Oaks Mall, you'll find a variety of by-the-bed apartment communities ideal for the busy student. As you cross over I-75 to the other side of West Gainesville, you'll find a wealth of modern homes, townhomes, and traditional apartment communities that are ideal for busy professionals and growing families.
How to Get to School
In West Gainesville the best way to get to school can vary based on your apartment's location. If you prefer to walk, bike, or bus to campus, then apartment communities near Oaks Mall on SW 20th Ave. and 62nd Blvd. may be just what you're looking for. This area of town is home to several by-the-bed apartment communities that are ideal for busy students. As an added bonus, West Gainesville apartments are typically a bit cheaper per room than options in Midtown but can be just as convenient. Here, you'll likely have direct access to public transportation, which makes getting to and from class a breeze!
If you prefer to live outside ‘student territory' you'll find a variety of roomy apartments near several of Gainesville's most popular hotspots. Living here has several perks, but in most areas access to the bus isn't one of them. Here, you'll likely want to own a car or scooter for convenient travel. Right on the outskirts of the bustling University of Florida, West Gainesville is subject to a bit of congestion during peak travel times as students and faculty make their way to and from the campus. Major roadways such as I-75, Newberry Road, and Tower Road may also experience added congestion during rush hour. Whether you're commuting for work or school, keep in mind that most of the heavy traffic travels east in the morning and west in the evening.These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of SwampRentals.com or any of our advertising partners.