Public transportation in Gainesville is provided by RTS, the Regional Transit System. They have a really comprehensive Web site, but here are the basics:
- Fare. Riding the bus is free with a Gator1 ID or Santa Fe College student ID. Regular adult one way cash fare is $1.50. However, there are various bus fare options on the RTS fee schedule so be sure to check out the most current RTS Fares and Passes options here to see what rates your trip qualifies for.
- Routes. Most bus routes go to and from the major destinations in town. The bus station is downtown, and there are plenty of routes that go to campus, apartment complexes, Butler Plaza, and other destinations, like the Oaks Mall and Santa Fe College. Check out all the routes, maps and times online. Most buses run every 15 minutes during normal weekdays. Your apartment complex can tell you which routes run nearby.
- GPS Tracking. RTS offers an online tracking system, called TransLoc, so you can see exactly where your bus is and when it’s arriving outside your door. Check out the locations of up to 50 RTS buses here.
- Biking. All RTS buses have bike racks in the front, so you won’t even have to walk to and from your ultimate destination.
- Later Gator. Special late-night shuttles run from campus to downtown, the mall, and southwest Gainesville until as late as 3am on Thursday through Saturday nights. With Later Gator, there is never an excuse to drink and drive home… plus, the busses tend to keep the party going on the way home!
« Return to Relocation Guide